Field trips are always my kids favorite part of homeschooling, however coming up with new ideas for field trips is my least favorite part of homeschooling.
In case you struggle to come up with new ideas as well, I thought I would share 20 field trip ideas to help you out…
- Aquarium – This is a great place to go and see all underwater creatures. Especially if you don’t live close to the beach or any bodies of water.
- Zoo – This is great if you are learning about different animals from different parts of the world that you can’t go to, or afford to go to. This way you get to see them up close without traveling too far from home.
- Museum – There are so many different types of museums; art, history, space, etc.
- Train Station – We were lucky enough to ride on a train last time we visited my parents, which was so much fun for the kids.
- Library – Teach the kids how to check out books.
- Post Office – Visiting the post office is a great way to teach kids about mail.
- Fire Station – Check with your local fire station before heading there, sometimes they have certain days/hours where they will give homeschoolers tours!
- Police Station – I would check in with them first before heading there, just like with the fire station.
- Airport – Watching the airplanes take off and land, seeing the baggage come down the baggage carousels. This would be a really good field trip idea, if you are going on a airplane sometime soon, as a way to get your child(ren) acquainted with the airport.
- Factory – We have a few different factories in our area; a cheese making factory, a sugar factory, etc. Just to give you an idea of the different factories you could possibly check out on your next field trip.
- Garden – We have 3 different garden places in my state; a botanical garden, a rose garden, and a Japanese garden.
- Beach – One of my favorite places on this list!
- Mountains – Another one of my favorites! You could talk about different wildlife in the area, investigate tracks/droppings to see what animals have been there, etc.
- Nature Walk – You could stop along the way and do some nature journaling, or have a picnic.
- Grocery Store – So much learning could happen in the grocery store. Make a fun game of it and give your kid a budget and see what they can come up with for dinner without going over budget.
- Farmers Market – A great place to really learn more about the food you consume.
- Farm/Petting Zoo – To learn how all their foods are grown, and pet some fun animals.
- Fruit Picking – Apples, cherries, pears, peaches, etc.
- Corn Maze/Pumpkin Patch – I know it’s a seasonal thing, but I had to add it because they are so much fun for kids. They can see for themselves how pumpkins and corn grow.
- Capitol Building – Not sure if all capitol buildings allow tours, but if they do it’s great for the kids to see where state legislature takes place.
That’s it, those are my 20 field trip ideas. I hope you enjoyed them. If you have an idea to add to the list, let me know.