A few years ago I shared about doing a themed learning unit, Winter. I remember how much fun that was for the kids, so I decided to bring back themed learning units. Yay!
Of course with Halloween being only 1 day away, what better theme to start with…
We started our Halloween themed learning unit last week, and here is everything we did.
Books we read:
- Even Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligott
- Goodnight Goon by Michael Rex
- Click, Clack, Boo! by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat! by Lucille Colandro
- Sofia the First The Halloween Ball by Lisa Ann Marsoli
- Ten Timid Ghosts by Jennifer O’Connell
- The Littlest Mummy by Brandi Dougherty
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
- The Spooky Express Idaho by Eric James
- Pinkalicious Pink or Treat! by Victoria Kann
- Skeleton Cat by Kristyn Crow
Fun stuff we did:
#1 – Halloween Sensory Bin
You can read all about our Halloween Sensory Bin, HERE. The kids had a lot of fun doing this.
#2 – Carving pumpkins
We carve pumpkins every year. It has been a tradition of ours for about 12 years now.
#3 – Candy corn, corn on the cobs
We first tried our hand at this a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun so we decided to try it again. You can find really cool ones on Pinterest.
Food we ate:
Pumpkin shaped sandwiches – We made peanut butter and jelly, but you could do any kind of sandwich. You just need a cookie cutter. I paired the sandwiches with oranges, Jello (orange), Carrots with ranch, goldfish, Halloween Oreo, and a homemade pumpkin looking pretzel.
Mummy hot dogs – So cute, fun, and easy to make! You only need hot dogs and crescent rolls to make these mummy hot dogs. Recipe can be found HERE.
Roasted Pumpkin seeds – Use the seeds from the pumpkin carving, roast them in the oven (350 degrees F) for about 20 minutes.
Movies we watched:
- Hocus Pocus
- Monster House
- Pooh’s Heffalump Halloween Movie (This is a family favorite, i highly recommend it!)
- Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest
That’s it for our Halloween themed learning week! I hope you enjoyed it!
*This post may contain affiliate links.*